Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Archaeology in the Age of Transparency, Part I

Pulled from the bookpile:
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
VALIS by Philip K. Dick
Mumbo Jumbo by Ishmael Reed

Let's begin with a deliciously sublime bit of hokum, concerning the Old Testament, deserts and rivers, the genesis of an art form and the end of a continent. In 1996, the ruined sphinxes of Rameses II saw daylight once again, in the burnt deserts of outer Los Angeles, gradually uncovered by the mute and inexorable elements, until discovered by roving bands of bored youths. “Ah,” say you, “That surely is a piece of hokum, and what, have I wandered onto some saucer nut’s website by mistake?” But, no, trust me, this is documented. The sphinxes themselves are the hokum, or as Ish Reed might put it, the Mumbo Jumbo in question. Whether those first discoverers assumed they were the lucky victims of a fabulous hoax I don’t know, but here we have crossed over from the realm of hoaxer to its close cousin, the Hollywood impresario.

2 comments:

Marco Siegel-Acevedo said...

Hey, my first official feedback! Thx sheri. By dual blog I'm guessing you went to the quotes sidebar. Don't know what stage it was at when you saw it, but the Karen O quote is there now (no placeholder gobbledygook now).

All still in progress, but I'm pretty jazzed about it.

m

Marco Siegel-Acevedo said...

Ah yes, and I'll be adding even more patron saints. Must be some old Catholic thing. I should amass 365 of them and have a patron-saint-festival-a-day, year round!